Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Hindsight is 2023

Well, that went about as expected.

Since I last blogged, more has happened. Personal life was still rough because of things I won't say because eww feelings. However, some developments about two reasons why I was hoping to revive the blog came to light. OK from one of them in DMs over on Instagram but I mean whatever.

Neither Steve Grand or Michael Medrano are releasing music this year but at least from Michael did I learn why. It started when he intended to revive his Tumblr account and he posted the tracklist for the debut. I ask him about a song that he previewed the demo to some time ago and he let me in on some T. 




Without giving dates away even though I want to because that motherfucker has delayed this damn thing about three times, if you let him tell the story, the shorthand is that he's trying to The Fame Monster: Fame Edition his debut compilation album. What's going to be known as LoveSexDrugs is still coming first even though 2/3 of the album have been released as singles by next year (and that's not even taking into account my distaste at his song "Disco Sleaze" being shorter than my temper when righteously indignant). The song I ask about is on the follow-up which Gaga willing will be released in a timely manner...but there is "good"...err good reason on his end as to why the album isn't coming this year.

He says that he's been watching other indie artists release their music to certifications no higher than Triple Echo Chamber. His beef is with the algorithm on Spotify or as he'll tweet every now and then "a mean twink making playlists" and how said algorithm only pushes one single from a project. I'm at least surprised at his continued openness with the career he desires. No T, No Shade 2/3 of an album being pushed as songs with delays despite some fleeting TikTok attention would suggest he's signed to a major label that the online music gays would read for dirt.

If Michael Medrano weren't unusually open for an artist on the come-up and I were in more of a sour mood, I would be saying far more unsavory things about a career path that suggests "My goal is to be the song someone listens to when they press 'Shuffle' on a curated playlist." However, the openness and honesty is to be appreciated as it reminds a lot of his fanbase that he's just like them: obsessed with pop and wanting major labels to be more "yaas and slay" with their artists and end games.

As for the other person I mentioned not releasing music? It's about to be three years in December since he threw away everything he worked for/launched a tacky underwear line. It still hurts and I won't be over it until he releases new music or gives proper closure. Something has to give and I'm in until the bitter end. It wouldn't kill Steve Grand to release new music and frankly I'm tired of him having more "radio silence" than "radio edit".

Holding out for quality music from either of them will have to do in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment